Part of River and Mercantile Group PLC
- Loading stock data...
What Happened in August 2017?
- The discount rate on the Citigroup Pension Liability Index (CPLI) fell from 3.86% to 3.77%.
- The US Treasury yield curve fell at most points along the curve with the exception of 1 year
- The August US unemployment rate rose to 4.4% from 4.3%. Nonfarm payroll employment rose by 156,000.
- Manufacturing activity rose in August with the ISM Composite Index rising from 56.3 in July to 58.8 in August.
- CPI for July was 1.7% year-over-year while core inflation (excluding food and energy) was 1.7%.
- The second estimate of Q2 2017 real GDP showed that the economy grew by 3.0%, while the advance estimate showed that the economy grew by 2.6%.
Market Summary – Total Returns through August 2017
Penbridge Pension Risk Transfer Index
About Penbridge Advisors
Penbridge Advisors provides pension plans with unbiased information and advisory services on the U.S. pension risk transfer (PRT) market and products. Penbridge provides pension plans with free access to the industry’s only database covering PRT products and providers. The firm possesses the expertise to compare the financial implications of plan termination versus plan maintenance, and to inform the process and timing of potential PRT transactions. For more information on Penbridge, please visit penbridgeadvisors.com or call 203-564-1529.
About Penbridge PRT Index
Sponsored by Penbridge Advisors, the Penbridge PRT Index represents the premium that an insurance provider would charge for a buy-out of a “typical” defined benefit plan. It is intended to illustrate relatively advantageous or disadvantageous times for a corporate plan sponsor to purchase annuities from insurance providers.
Ryan Labs Index
The return on assets in a pension trust is clearly a key driver of the funded status of a pension plan. However, pension liability values can also fluctuate significantly with changes in market interest rates. In essence, pension liabilities carry their own market returns. Plan sponsors should therefore focus on the net impact of changes in assets and liabilities on a plan’s funded status. The following table provides the estimated return on pension plan liabilities as of the end of last month as calculated by Ryan Labs, Inc. (used with permission):
Ryan Labs, Inc. Asset Management specializes in managing custom fixed income portfolios for pension plans and institutional clients. For more information on Ryan Labs, please visit ryanlabs.com or call 800-321-2301.
Key Interest Rates for DB Plans
Upcoming Regulatory Due Dates
- October 13 (DB): Third quarterly contribution deadline for calendar year plans (for the 2017 plan year).
- October 16 (DB/DC): Forms 5500 and 8955-SSA due date (for calendar year plans that filed for an extension).
- October 16 (DB): PBGC premium filings are due (for calendar year plans).